- "pick on"＝「（からかい）いじめる」という意味。私の辞書には「（人の）あら探しをする、小言をいう」と載っていた。これも以前とりあげた、人に被害を及ぼす時の"on"だね。（参考：04/5/5
- Why don't you pick on someone else for a change?←嫌な例文だなコレ・・・
- ちなみに「太っていた」というのは "I was chunky." と言っていた。chunky は口語で「ずんぐりした、(布等)厚い、(ジャムなど)塊の入った」。女の子が「ぽっちゃりとした」という時は plump が使われるみたい。
- She's a little plump.
- The nurse was a cheerful plump woman.
- The baby's nice and plump.
is a very direct word. You might use it about yourself but it will usually cause offence if you use it about someone else
• I'm so fat at the moment!
is a more polite way to say that someone is fatter than they usually are or than they should be
• She is a little overweight.
is a word used especially by doctors to describe people who are very fat, in a way that is bad for their health.
is a more informal word and is used especially of children or of rounded body parts such as cheeks or knees.
means fat and rounded in a pleasant way
• a plump, motherly woman
big and well-built
are fairly polite ways to describe someone with a large, strong, or fat body
• For big men like him, air travel can be uncomfortable.