- 「太陽が照っている間に干し草を作る」→「波に乗っているうちにやっておく、好機を逃さない（make good use of an oppotunity while it lasts／If you have an opportunity to do something, do it before the opportunity expires／to do something while the situation or conditions are right）」という意味に。
- While my husband's out of town, I'm going to watch all the movies he wouldn't take me to see. ---Why not? Make hay while the sun shines.
- I've got a few hours to finish the housework before the kids come home so I might as well make hay while the sun shines.
- There's a sale at the shop this week - You wanna see if the have something for your sister's birthday?---Sure - Might as well make hay while the sun shines, and get her something at cut price!
- We've got a few days off work so lets make hay while the sun shines and do some landscaping around the back of the house.