BBCドラマ「シャーロック」エピソード1 "A Study in Pink" より。携帯メッセージで犯人をおびきだそうとした目論みは失敗に終わった。ホームズの台詞。
- a long shot＝「成功の見込みは薄いがやるだけの価値があること、大きな賭、大胆な試み」（used to say that a plan is worth trying, even though you think it is unlikely to succeed／something that will probably not succeed but is worth trying／an attempt or a guess that is not likely to be successful but is worth trying）
- It's a long shot, but someone might recognise her from the photo and be able to tell us where she lives.
- It's a long shot but I could call Tony and see if he knows her address.
- It's a long shot, but it just might work.
- I hope to double my profits, but I know that's a long shot.
- 人（や馬）がa long shotだ、と言うと、その人（や馬）がレースや選挙で勝てる見込みが薄い人だってこと。大穴。（if someone is a long shot, they are not likely to be chosen for a job or to win an election, competition etc／a person or thing that is not likely to win something (such as a contest or race) ）
- Turner is a long shot to win next month's mayoral election.
- The horse was a long shot, but we bet on him anyway.
- She always bets on long shots at the racetrack.