BBCドラマ「シャーロック」エピソード1 "A Study in Pink" より。事件解決後、ホームズとワトスンの２人を見送りながらマイクロフトがつぶやいた一言。makingとmakeを使ってリズムのいいセリフ。
- makingは名詞。ここでは be the making of somebodyの形で「〜の成功・進歩のもととなる」という意味で使われている。（to make someone a much better or more successful person／if you say that an event or experience was the making of someone, you mean that it made them develop good qualities (never in present tenses)）←現在形で使われることはない。
- College was the making of Joe.
- You'll see - a couple of years abroad will be the making of him.
- A spell in the army will be the making of him! ※spell：ひと続きの仕事、期間
- University was the making of her, because she was able to escape the influence of her family at last.
- His time in the army was the making of him.
- That movie was the making of her as an actress.
- have the makings of somethingという形になると「素質がある、求められる資質がある」（to have the qualities or skills necessary to do a particular job／to have the qualities that are necessary to become something）となる。この場合はmakingは複数形makingsに。
- The young boy had the makings of a fine baseball player.
- My boss has all the makings of a prison warden. ※warden：管理人、監視人
- He has the makings of a world-class footballer.
- He has (all) the makings of a great quarterback.
- Her first novel has all the makings of a classic.
- He has the makings of a first-rate lawyer.